15 March 2011

I lied. Feature: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

So I decided this post was NOT going to be another list. Instead, it's gonna be a feature of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. This anime is growing in popularity and it's one of my favorites. It also makes me extremely angry.

Anyway, life hasn't really changed at all for me. lol I've been kinda stressed about school and boys. But it's all good now.

I went to the beach on sunday and there were a whole bunch of jellyfish that had washed up. I got some awesome pictures and my inner nerd was extremely happy. I felt kinda bad too, though. It made me a little sad that they were washing up. Now I have a sun burn from hell on my chest.

Now, on to the feature!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - otherwise known as Madoka, SEEMS like your average, normal, happy Magical Girl show. See? It seems like a nice, happy show.


The show's premise is an alternate reality within reality. The main character, Madoka, and her best friend Sayaka lead normal high school lives.  They get up, walk to school, learn, and are happy. Until ONE day, this thing shows up:


This is Kyubey. He seems pretty harmless, and slightly creepy at first, what with the strange smile that never leaves his face, and his adorable fuzzy-ness. But then you kinda start to notice he doesn't portray almost any emotions. Which gets even creepier as the episodes progress. 

I'm not going to go into extreme detail with this review/rant, simply because the show is almost over, but only almost. There's still some stuff going on, and I don't want to spoil anything for those that may want to watch this show.

Unlike other Magical Girl shows *cough mostofSailorMoon cough* this show completely ignores and makes fun of the idea of "The Power of Friendship!" Which is really refreshing as much as it is depressing. Within the first 3 episodes THIS happens:


And it's more or less downhill from there. After this, the main characters are all grieving for Mami in their own way. And then even more depressing stuff happens. It becomes apparent pretty quickly that those who choose the Puella Magi path are pretty much screwed. You spend your entire life fighting "witches" and almost no one cares about you. If you die, no one will likely know about it, and you just become a missing person. AND YOU THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.



Tension builds as the viewer finds out about Walpurgis Night, and a girl named Kyoko Sakura comes into the picture. After Sayaka becomes a witch, the depressing factor is amped up a notch as the "Power of Friendship" is mocked once again as the girls fail to bring their friend back by means of talking reason to her. I won't tell you what happens after that.  Suffice to say that I was EXTREMELY ANGRY at the end of that episode.

Anyway, before I go on an angry rant, the show draws most of it's inspiration from Faust. I'm not sure if you've ever read Faust, but it's a German play about a guy who, though successful, is dissatisfied with life so he makes a deal with the Devil to have all the knowledge in the world at the measly price of his SOUL. That MIGHT have revealed just how depressing this anime is.

Like Faust, the girls choose to have a wish granted by Kyubey, but in exchange they must fight "Witches". In reality, Kyubey rips their soul from their bodies, turns it into something called a "Soul Gem" and if they don't purify said Soul Gem then they become the very thing they fought, a Witch.





UGH THIS SHOW IS SO SAD.
Ahem. Seriously though. I watched episode ten and I spontaneously burst into tears. Not gonna tell you why though. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's a great - if frustrating show. I definitely think it's worth watching, and I think it can only grow in popularity. It also has an awesome ending song:

 

Even though this show obviously ignores the "Power of Friendship", it does recognize the bonds formed between friends. In the case of Madoka and Sayaka that bond is strong, but in the face of evil it doesn't stand. Homura is devoted to Madoka - and you eventually find out just how devoted. That kind of friendship can be admired and can definitely be empathized with.


Isn't it cute? It's actually extremely depressing in context. So you should watch this show. :)

Next time I'm back to my lists. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I have some ideas. If YOU have any ideas, be sure to leave me a comment in the little box. 

Wanna make a contract?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment